a. Complete the test at http://www.businesswriting.com/tests/activepassive.htm
These are my results:
b. Did you find the questions difficult? Did you have any problems in specific areas?
I had a little bit of trouble with wording some of the sentences, as I found that I was changing some of the words because in my head they seemed to fit a bit better. However, when I read the correct versions I was then able to see how they rearranged the original words to make sense. I was, however, able to identify most of the performers of the actions, and then able to move them to the subject position easily.
Individual Question Reflections:
- I changed the ‘sends’ to ‘receives’ which made the sentence more confusing because there were two performers instead of one.
- I didn’t realise that the self-audit was not actually considered the performer and that I should insert ‘we’ instead. Also, I didn’t realise that I could/should simplify the second half of the sentence like in the correct example.
- I think my example follows a fairly similar concept to the correct version, but it is just worded in a slightly different way.
- The only difference here was that I didn’t omit the second ‘have’.
- In this one I stuffed up a bit as I rearranged the entire sentence, although I think I still managed to make it into active voice.
- My example was fairly similar to the example, except I accidentally omitted ‘most’ and ‘may’ without thinking.
- This one confused me slightly, as I did not understand that I was able to create an active voice without explicitly stating a performer, hence my insertion of the word ‘you’.
- I struggled with the arrangement of this one, as it was a longer sentence and had a few more actions and performers to consider.
- I found this question extremely straightforward and easy, and got it correct.
- This question was also easy, as I got it almost exactly the same.