a. Visit http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/press/kits/sho ws.aspx
b. Select a show and then review the supplementary media for each show. Specifically, review the Press Kit which is a downloadable PDF.
c. Identify the elements that comprise the Press Kit and reflect on how you might incorporate them into a story.
The Cirque Du Soleil press kit that I decided to reflect on was the ‘Totem’ show. The press kit can be found here. This specific press kit comprises of the following sections:
- Show Overview (Backgrounder)
- Totem Fact Sheet
- Critic’s Reviews
- Information about the Writer/Director (Biographies of Key Personnel)
- Brief Overviews of the Main Characters (Biographies of Key Personnel)
- Descriptions of the scenes (Backgrounder/Graphics)
- List of the creators (Backgrounder/Graphics)
- Costume information (Backgrounder)
- Set Design and Projection Details (Backgrounder/Graphics)
- Support Overview (Backgrounder)
- The Cirque Du Soleil Village Setup (Backgrounder/Graphics)
- And the Background Story/Mission of Cirque Du Soleil (Backgrounder)
- Cirque Du Soleil Fact Sheet
If I were to write a story about the Cirque Du Soleil ‘Totem’ show, I would start by providing a few catchy facts from the Totem and Cirque Du Soleil Fact sheets that would aid in creating the inverted pyramid structure.
I would then go into more detail about the story by paraphrasing the Show Overview to give my readers an idea of what the show was about.
I would use a direct quote from the Review section, from a critic of a high credibility and prominence so that my readers found my sources reliable.
Depending on the length of the story, I would include different amounts of information. If it was a short news story, I would then briefly discuss the most important points from the remaining sections on the writer, characters, scenes, costumes and set. If it were a longer feature article I would choose one section that had the most interesting information available, and I would then focus on this for a few paragraphs.
Cirque Du Soleil, 2012, ‘Cirque Du Soleil: Totem – Press Kit’, viewed 15 September 2015,